Skip to main content

Volunteers Honored During National Mentoring Month

January is NATIONAL MENTORING MONTH and TJJD would like to express deep appreciation to each Mentor! Throughout the month, the agency has shared a variety of stories, training/webinar invitations, and video links that underscore the critical role mentors play in the lives of TJJD youth. If you, or someone you know, is interested in becoming a TJJD mentor, please contact Tammy Holland at 512-490-7090.

Scott Bolsins: The Story of a Reluctant Mentor

I have always had a place in my heart for youth and have served as a volunteer coach on several sports teams. When I was approached by the Texas Juvenile Justice Department about working with a 10-yearold boy who was serving a possible 15-year incarceration, I would like to say I jumped at the chance; however, I hesitated because I was anxious about working with a child who was incarcerated. I tried to reason away that I would have little impact on someone who had committed an offense that resulted in such a lengthy sentence. Nothing could have been further than the truth.

My initial meeting was not what I had anticipated. I was introduced to a child who was polite, however shy. He was no different from any other boy I had coached, with the exception that he desperately needed someone to care about him. We played games and he cheated several times to ensure himself that I would win. When I asked him why, he said he wanted to make sure I came back. It broke my heart.

After a few months I learned that he was making less than average grades and it was obvious that he had no concept of a life outside of the justice system. We worked on his confidence and I started to get him to dream again of what his life would look like if he could change things. His grades improved to an A-average as he set goals to graduate, not only from high school, but to earn a college degree. Within a year, the introverted child who was unable to look me in the eye or complete a sentence was laughing, talking nonstop and planning to earn a degree as a graphic artist. He picked up the passion for reading, and was reading books that were several grade levels above his age.

I have worked with him for three years and I am proud of the young man that he has become. He is now living with a foster family in my hometown and is like any other awkward teenage boy you would see at the mall or playing with friends. His eyes are now filled with hope instead of the undeniable pain I saw during our first visit.

Looking back, my initial thought was that I had very little to offer and I have come to realize that I had everything he needed. I didn’t have to have profound advice or even all the right answers; all he needed was a little of my time and to know that someone cared. It can make a difference that is impossible to measure, as this experience has changed us both.

Popular posts from this blog

McFadden Sends Youth Home with Backpack of 'Hope'

By Y. Denise Caldwell Community Resource Coordinator, Northern District Parole Office FLOWER MOUND, Texas - Larry Bossaler, McFadden volunteer  McFadden Ranch Volunteer Larry Bossaler enjoys his assignment: Making sure that every youth who leaves the McFadden halfway house knows that people are praying for him and wishing him the best in his future. He is the man who brings them their “Good-Bye” backpack.    When he delivers the backpacks, he makes sure to do three things – visit with the youth, show the contents of the backpack (because staff put them in the lockers until the youth leaves),   and lastly close the visit with a heartfelt prayer. The youth enjoy and appreciate the backpack, the visit and the prayer. Many are a little anxious and scared to leave but knowing that the McFadden volunteers care enough to send them off in this special way, helps them feel a bit less worried. “I always bring an extra backpack,” Larry said.   “In case a youth i

McFadden Ranch High School Graduates Honored

DENTON, Texas -- The Kiwanis Club of Denton recognized nine youth from McFadden Ranch who earned their high school diploma or equivalency by inviting them to their April 17 noon meeting and luncheon where they were awarded $50 each for their trust fund. Spearheaded by JCO IV Gregory Winn, a longstanding member of the Kiwanis Club of Denton, the event was truly memorable for the youth who attended. They heard a motivational and moving presentation by Texas Rep. Pat Fallon, who completed the Greatest Endurance Challenge – the World Marathon Challenge – tackling seven marathons in seven days on seven continents. He took the challenge after being inspired by Jonny Wade, a 7-year-old boy who battled pediatric cancer and had only one wish – ‘that no other kid ever gets cancer.’ Wade’s death led to the creation of Pediatric Cancer Foundation for which Fallon raised over $250,000 so far. Fallon, who represents a portion of Denton County, said the takeaway from his experience is that we

Teamwork Leads to Arrest Without Incident

GAINESVILLE, Texas – Late at night on July 21, a young man escaped from the Gainesville State School, and an exceptional team effort ensured that he was found the very next day. Employees from TJJD State Programs, Texas Department of Criminal Justice, local law enforcement, and TJJD Office of Inspector General (OIG) investigators from Gainesville, Brownwood, Mart, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin all answered the call that night. Sgt. Gabriel Medellin was contacted at approximately 2:00 a.m., on July 22. He left San Antonio for Gainesville at approximately 6:00 a.m. to meet with other investigators and begin searching for the youth. At approximately 12:25 p.m., Sgt. Medellin observed a male walking down a highway in Gainesville who matched the description of the youth. Sgt. Medellin made contact, confirmed his identity, and made the arrest without incident. He was assisted by OIG Sergeants Walker Willey (Ron Jackson) and Tom Hamilton (Mart). OIG Chief Forrest Mitchell s